City of Salina was built by American Car & Foundry in 1953 as #5486, configured with coach seating for 44 passengers and public restrooms at both ends.
#5486 named City of Salina in 1992 after the nation’s first 3 car high-speed train set, powered by an internal combustion engine. This set included a locomotive and mail car, a coach, and a coach with buffet service in the rear of the car. Passengers could eat at their seats using tray tables very similar to those used on airliners. Once in revenue service in the fall of 1934, it ran between Kansas City, Mo., and Salina, Kan., as the Kansas Streamliner. Later in 1936, city names where given to these trains and this new trainset was renamed the City of Salina.
City of Salina remaind in revenue service until 1971
In April 2022, Union Pacific officials announced that the company would donate City of Salina to RRHMA, which plans to restore it to operating condition. Read the complete article on the Union Pacific donation here.