Union Pacific 5016 was built in 1959 by the Saint Louis Car Company for the Union Pacific Railroad. This lightweight Cafe / Diner was in service from 1959 through 1974. Built with a lunch counter with seating for 8, 6 tables, and 16 more seats in the lounge, #5016 was built for a changing world of food service on railroads in America. Passengers were looking for lower cost food options in the 1950s and lunch counter cars were the answer.
In April 2022, Union Pacific officials announced that the company would donate #5016 to RRHMA, which plans to restore it to operating condition. Read the complete article on the Union Pacific donation here.